Spiderman - Turn Off the Dark had its first preview last night. This highly anticipated new musical created a lot of buzz on Twitter, Facebook and Google last night in response to the first performance. The volume of activity was high with STOTD and Spiderman On Broadway being top searches on Google last evening.
Overall the reactions have been positive as first audience members who have posted comments are usually uberfans. Interesting to note that several people comment that the negative feedback made them want to attend the show even more.
Lots of tech issues and story-telling kinks to work out before the show opens in January. Only time will tell if this mega-musical will be a hit or a flop.
There is a lot of debate as to whether it is fair to post reviews of shows in previews. The preview period is an opportunity for the cast and creative team to work on the material with a live audience. The rub is that audience, at least a portion of them, are paying for their tickets and have a right to share their opinions. In today's hyper-connected world it is impossible to avoid an interested ticket buyer if they want to look for opinions on the internet. So the stakes are higher than they used to be and shows have more pressure on them to get it right before they start playing to an audience. What's interesting to me is that buzz, both negative and positive, spreads faster and farther than ever before and because it is so easy to share your opinion on the internet, it seems like people are doing it more frequently.
And now here are many of the Tweets and Facebook posts re: @SpideyOnBway:
gochrisgo Spiderman musical has some amazing moments, costumes and flights. There were about five stops in the action at tonight's first preview.
hollisst @BroadwayGirlNYC @SpideyOnBway All this tweeting finally got to me & I bought a tix for Wed night! Can't wait! LOL!
BroadwayGirlNYC Current top google hits: "spiderman on broadway," "spiderman broadway," & "spiderman the musical"! Congrats on first preview, @SpideyOnBway.
jonplee Tonight was the first night of previews at @SpideyOnBway. Tweets during intermission were extremely positive. Kind of excited to see it now.
BroadwaySpotted We were just talking about @Spideyonbway and saying if the show runs perfectly the day we go, we're gonna feel jipped lol.
havemycake @SpideyOnBway got performers stuck in the air already? lmao. This is what tech is for people! I'm still seeing it though.
_NatalieA All these tweets tonight actually are making me want to see @SpideyOnBway more than I did before, tech issues and all.
prossel @smilenwaven Oh baby, those men get my blood pumping! This girl is saving her pennies for a trip to NYC to see @SpideyOnBway
DisFreakBrent Even though a t-shirt at @spideyonbway is $40 I cant lie I want one who wants to pick me up a medium I'll pay you back :)
From the prolific danielgeneNYC (in reverse cronological order)
- One more thing from SPIDER-MAN. I was walking into the theatre behind Bernard Telsey, and someone came up to him and said "Let's talk Carrie
- Agreed...but the potential of this show is amazing! RT @nyindieguy #Spiderman: definitely needs work in the 6 weeks until it opens.
- One of my favorite part of Act II was U2's song "Vertigo" conveniently placed in a club scene. Haha
- I definitely wanna see @SpideyOnBway again!!! I'll give the show a few weeks to work out all the kinks though
- There were a lot more villains in the 2nd act RT @jordanc@danielgeneNYC Wow! There's about 10 to show in the 2nd act then!
- RT @ps_dutch @danielgeneNYC is it live music or recorded?
- It's mostly live music but there are some prerecorded drum loops.
- @SpideyOnBway curtain call!
- Back from the hold at @SpideyOnBway
- Audience getting anxious...someone in the audience just asked for a refund...eek!
- Fifth hold of @SpideyOnBway (first in Act II)
- After a 40 minute intermission Act II is now starting at @SpideyOnBway!
- Stage manager at @SpideyOnBway says they are holding intermission to "fix a few things." I'm patiently waiting and excited for Act II
- I'm in the balcony. I think the front row of the flying circle would be best RT @GratuitousV Are you in orch or mezz
- Getting ready for Act II to begin. A new set piece just flew in but the stage manager announced it will still be a few minutes.
- As of intermission there has only been one villain featured. RT @jordanc @danielgeneNYC How much are the different villains featured?
- They are good...neither me has blown me away...yet. RT @GratuitousV @danielgeneNYC @Corellianjedi2 How are Reeve & Jennifer?
- They started right before 7. RT @JoseSPiano @danielgeneNYCDid they start on time at 6:30?
- Longest hold was abt 5 mins. I haven't seen Ms. T yet. RT @JoseSPiano @danielgeneNYC How long have the holds bn? Is Ms. Taymor wlkng arnd?
- One of the best parts of Act I is an aerial battle with SPIDERMAN and a villain only a few feet above the audience. My heart was racing
- Music sounds very much like U2, but in a good way. It's rock driven and epic.
- The sets are incredible at @SpideyOnBway. There's a lot of comic book type stuff and some really cool forced perspective
- Aaaand...intermission at @SpideyOnBway
- Forth hold at @SpideyonBway
- Only during holds ;-) RT @NewYorkTheater @danielgeneNYCAre you tweeting from your seat at @SpideyonBway?
- Third hold at @SpideyOnBway
- And we're back!!
- About 30 min was first hold...35 min was second hold. RT @DailyActor @danielgeneNYC Wow... Tech problems? How far into the 1st act?
- Second hold at @SpideyOnBway
- First hold of the evening at @SpideyOnBway
- RT @rafareyesNYC Spiderman came out to say hi apparently ;D and his mom is helping him to dress up @SpideyOnBway
- A guy dressed up as Batman is riding around on a bike outside of @SpideyOnBway.
- I hear Matthew Broderick and Sarah Jessica Parker are here too RT @KristinLitz @danielgeneNYC sean hayes is going too! tell him i said hi =]
- A guy dressed up as Batman is riding around on a bike outside of @SpideyOnBway.
- The line to enter the Foxwoods I backed up to 8th Avenue.http://twitpic.com/3b625y
damagedself Oooo... a Spiderman musical? Not sure if i'll pay to see it but it sounds interesting!
Chanda6574 Spider-Man musical in web of delays
Kaseyjls Enjoyed Spiderman musical but need to work out the flow of the story. Hope they get the stunts working. Don't recommend balcony seating.
Daniel Horton I heard it was a wreck. The NY Times reported that it had to stop FIVE times during the performance. I still want to see the show, but I think I'll just wait until all the kinks are worked out.
Brent Terrien Geez all the people who complain it was stopped 5 times get over it it's a preview things are still being worked on get over it. I have heard good & bad but have high hopes for the show still. Also for those of us not in the area I hope the merchandise goes on sale online soon I really want a poster & tee shirt. :
Rebecca Pierce Brent I was there...didn't mind the stops...part of WHY I wanted to be there! I loved the 'reality' behind the scenes! AMAZING sets and costumes...I will go back to see the 'polished' version...:)
The stops didn't bother me. I may be the odd one out, but as a quasi-techie, I love seeing the inner workings of a show, especially one this ambitious. And hey, it's previews, and I felt I saw a preview. If I wanted perfection, I know a preview (especially one this early) wouldn't be for me. Instead, we saw history. That's fine by me. I look forward to seeing what changes are made in the future. Kudos to everyone involved.
Steven Biscotti That's an excellent review. I totally agree with you about seeing "the inner-workings" of a show. It was a real treat to finally see and hear the show. I already have tx for 12/28th
Rebecca Pierce Ilana! I pretty much agree with you! I think the songs will grow on us over time! Kudos is right!!!
Jason Geller Steven, please comment again after you see the show again in a month. Very interested to hearing the differences!
Steven Biscotti Reeve Carney and Patrick Page. Congrats to Reeve who was AMAZING and Mr. Page - a true professional & entertainer. During one of the stops in ACT 1 - he continued his Goblin performace and serenaded the audience. Hilarious.
Steven Biscotti Had one of the best night of my life, courtesy your friendly neighborhood Spider-Man. Truly loved the whole entire production. I will admit, that if you are looking to view the show warts and all - then see it immediatley as they work out the kinks. The show DID stop but, it was a really magical experience watching everything come together.
You can have all of the costumes, special effects, flashy sets and great performances... but without a good story, none of this matters.
Before I rant... I have to say; Great casting and Great performances.
Rant (and I VERY rarely do this):
This show doesn't know what it is.
Is it about Comic book characters or cartoon caricatures?
Is it about Peter Parker or about four unknown, weird kids that pop up every time the crew needs to arrange the complex set behind the curtain.
Is the villain the Green Goblin or the Spider lady?
They spent a great deal of time developing a very entertaining villain only to kill him off quickly before the first act begins.
They introduce four kids that ramble on and on about who or what they think Spiderman should be... Why? I can understand that they needed a device to keep us occupied while they made their set changes, but this was completely distracting. It just cheapened the Spiderman Myth by force-feeding the idea that all of this is coming from these four idiots having a little brainstorming session.
And then... We never find out what happens to these four idiots because the acid trip induced Spider Ladies prance onto the stage and proclaim "We are going to take over the story now. "There were about 7 interruptions during the show including a woman who screamed because she felt she had paid for a preview and not a dress-rehearsal. I have to agree. I expect a generous amount of pauses and re-sets during a dress-rehearsal, but not during a preview. A preview should be about seeing what works, and getting audience reaction, not about seeing IF it works. I hope they re-write this baby before January because right now, the tail is wagging the dog.The sets, effects and costumes should serve the story, not the other way around. Don't kill off your bad guy until the end. Especially a really good bad guy. He was funny, and fun to watch. Get rid of the spider-lady. It makes no sense having her there. And the dream sequences... please. For 60 million dollars can someone tell a story that doesn't have a dream sequence? Ditch the four goons and find a better device for keeping the audience occupied while waiting for the set change. Okay... rant over.
Rafael Macazaga whoa there, im traveling to ny (im from mexico) in january and i want to see this badly.... now you are making me reconsider this :S hope they fix it
Steven Biscotti No, everything should be fine by then. That is actually when I would recommend seeing the show. I sincerely hope you enjoy.
Jason Parry John....I have to agree with you on the writing being confused and not knowing what it wants to be. I've grown up with spiderman comics and even enjoyed the movies but this show just made no sense...I can't imagine what a non spiderman follower would think after watching it. I also agree about feeling like I was on an acid trip while watching it lol
Jason Geller Rafael, go see it! It was great!
Corey Valestra 2nd act was better than the first- but overall it was a bit of a mess! I really wanted to love it! I hope they fix it and get it right by opening night...
Paul St.Austin Where do you recommend sitting? Orchestra, or Flying Circle?
Jason Parry Flying Circle was where I sat....great view and you get up close and personal with some of the performers
Jason Geller If you sit in the orchestra, sit in like row S. The flying circle balcony sits right above row T.
Corey Valestra Flying circle. Enjoy
Giacomo Santangelo So, almost FOUR HOURS after it started, it is finally over! The show will be good once they finish writing it. Not sure why Peter doesn't wear the costume for the last HOUR of the show, or even how the play ended. IF this show opens in January, it won't look ANYthing like this. After sitting through what amounts to a 4 Hour technical dress rehersal, one is left wondering, What must it have looked like last year, when it was originally suppose to open?
Caleb Hamilton How was the first preview
Jason Geller It was great!
Debbie Baham numberonefan. My son is so excited. Hope it comes close to home.
Donny Jackson The show is way, way, way, too technically difficult to tour. You'll have to come to it.
Ken Croteau Music on 60 Minutes segment sounded good. Can't wait to hear the cast recording when they finalize everything and if I'm lucky....see the show!
Steven Murphy Excited to hear all the reviews! Can't wait to see it!
Lewis E Woods OK!!!! I cant take it............ I over heard it isnt going to good.... Someone tell me this is a lie!! HAHAH I need to know, how is the opening night?
Zeeke I-Hoopz Griffin Man this is going to be off the hook! I need someone to go with!lol
Corey Valestra Attending the preview now.... Alot of mistakes and not very good... It's intermission now. Hope the 2nd part is better...
Articles and Blogs featuring last night's Preview